We are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to become a key member of our research team for an innovative project — Evaluating communication for development: Supporting adaptive and accountable development. Using participatory action research and evaluation methodologies, and building on existing capacity building activities and relationships, the project will establish regional hubs of communication for development (C4D) evaluation capability in the Asia-Pacific region. The main aim of the project is to create an approach to evaluating C4D that is useful and feasible in terms of both learning and accountability, and to assess how this can contribute to sustainable development and behaviour and social change.
This three year project, which is a collaboration between the University of Hyderabad, RMIT University, Australia and UNICEF, will start in 2014.. The project is funded by an Australian Research Council grant, UNICEF and the Eidos Institute. It is being led by Prof. Jo Tacchi in the School of Media and Communication, RMIT. Other lead investigators are Prof. Vinod Pavarala (University of Hyderabad), Prof. Patricia Rogers (RMIT) and Dr. Rafael Obregon, Chief of C4D (UNICEF Headquarters, New York).
Key functions of the Postdoctoral Research Associate include:
- Conduct, as part of a research team, high quality participatory action research and evaluation activities that meet the aims of the project.
- Assist in managing, planning, coordinating and evaluating the project within timelines and budget, ensuring compliance with quality and reporting requirements.
- Assist in undertaking fieldwork and evaluation capacity-building activities in India and other Asia-Pacific countries.
- Manage data from the project and share responsibility for its analysis and interpretation.
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of evaluation guides, project reports, academic publications and other project outputs.
- Take up any other project-related role as assigned by Prof. Vinod Pavarala and/or other lead researchers in the team.
Applicants must be Indian citizens and have a PhD in Communication or in a relevant Social Science discipline such as Anthropology, Sociology, Geography, etc. Candidates who are submitting or have submitted their thesis latest by July 31, 2014 may also apply, along with supporting documentation of submission. The PhD thesis should preferably be in development studies, evaluation or communication and social change.
Candidates currently employed in any academic or research position may also apply, provided they are willing to take Study Leave for the duration of the project.
Candidates with demonstrated experience in conducting participatory research and evaluation in international development, communication for development or related fields will be preferred. Those with an emerging track record and quality research outputs (publications/reports) will have an added advantage.
Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and a strong commitment to teamwork and multidisciplinary collaboration will add value to any application for this position.
Duration of Appointment
The project is for duration of three years, beginning 2014. The Postdoctoral Research Associate will be appointed initially for a period of one year, extendable for the duration of the project on the basis of performance.
This appointment will be tenable at the UNESCO Chair on Community Media located within the Department of Communication, University of Hyderabad. This will be a project-based appointment and will not be deemed to be a regular position at University of Hyderabad.
A consolidated salary of Rs.40,000-45,000 per month will be paid commensurate with experience.
Ensure you have the following documents before you apply online:
- Your CV;
- A digital passport size photograph. The file should be your name. For example, if your name is Vasuki Belavadi, the file you upload should be vasukibelavadi.
- Transcripts of academic record from MA/MPhil/PhD;
- Two letters of reference, including one from the PhD supervisor;
- Proof of thesis submission (where applicable)
Please consolidate all the above documents into one PDF and upload them online. The consolidated file should be your name. For example, if your name is Vasuki Belavadi, the consolidated file should be named vasukibelavadi.
Candidates must apply online by August 15, 2014. Applications received through any other means will not be considered.
Short-listed candidates may be interviewed either in person or on Skype.
(The appointment will be subject to finalization of project contracts by partners and funding agencies.)